New Zealand is my favourite place in the world, and I only realised how outstanding it is when I started travelling. I have since realised how many people have it at the top of their bucket list, and I've made it my goal to see more of my own country and share its beauty.
THE ULTIMATE NEW ZEALAND BUCKET LIST
Here's my list of the top 100+ things to do in New Zealand, an ultimate bucket list if you wish. A few of them I have already done, and the rest I'm looking forward to completing.
- Visit Cape Reinga
- Walk along 90 mile beach
- Take the ferry between Russell and Paihia
- Russell Museum ✓
- Learn about the Treaty of Waitangi at the Treaty grounds
- See the Hole in the Rock (it's more impressive than it sounds!)
Mermaid Pools at Matapouri ✓
The mermaid pools in Matapouri are stunning! Matapouri Bay itself is a lovely beach dotted with a few islands. But if you keep walking to the end, and then go up a pretty steep hill through the bush, you'll soon be rewarded with some stunning views of the Mermaid Pools.
- Whangarei Falls ✓
- Kai Iwi Lakes
- Mangawhai Heads ✓
- Waipu Cove ✓
- Go surfing at Te Arai/Forrestry
- Snorkelling at Goat Island ✓
- Visit Omaha ✓
- Tauwharanui Nature Reserve ✓
- Kawau Island
- Grab some cheese in Puhoi
- Relax at the Waiwera hot pools ✓
- Explore Shakespeare Regional Park ✓
- Discover the secret rock pools at Anawhata ✓
- Walk up to the summit of Rangitoto Island ✓
Auckland is built on over 40 volcanoes, the youngest of which, Rangitoto Island, is only 600 years and considered dormant. It is an iconic sight in Auckland's Hauraki Gulf and is a great place to go for a view of the city and surrounding areas.
Bonus points if you kayak there and back!
- Wine tour on Waiheke Island like an A-lister
- Visit Great Barrier Island ✓
- Auckland Sky Tower ✓
- Walk up Mt Eden for the sunset ✓
- Peruse the works at Auckland Art Gallery ✓
- Visit the Auckland Museum ✓
- Walk through Cornwall Park ✓
- West Auckland beaches for a surf - Piha, Muriwai, Bethells, Anawhata... ✓
- Slide down the sand dunes at Bethells Beach ✓
- West Auckland waterfalls - Kitekite, Mokoroa, Fairy falls...✓
- The Hillary Trail (any, or all of it!) ✓
- Hunua Falls
- Pokeno for ice cream ✓
- Pretend you're in Narnia at Cathedral Cove ✓
- Dig your own hot tub at Hot Water beach ✓
- Hike up Mt Maunganui ✓ (don't forget your selfie at the top ✓)
- Figure out how to get to the bottom of the Omanawa Falls
- Be amazed by the clear water of the Blue Springs ✓
- Pretend you're in The Hobbit at Hobbiton ✓
- Get to the top of the Pinnacles
- Visit the Waitomo Caves and see some glow worms ✓
- Take in the view of Mt Taranaki ✓
- Chill out & catch some waves in Raglan ✓
- Hike the Tongariro Crossing ✓
This is one of the best day walks in New Zealand, and arguable the world! Cross active volcanic regions, pass sulphurous lakes that are striking emerald colours and climb Mt Doom from Lord of the Rings.
- See the art deco style in Napier
- East Cape lighthouse
- Wine tasting in and around the Hawkes Bay region
- Take in the view at Cape Kidnappers
- Visit The Weta Cave
- Take the Wellington Cable Car ✓
- Get a vintage bargain, and/or brunch on Cuba Street ✓
- Take a trip to the Beehive (Parliament) ✓
- Visit Te Papa Museum
- Jump on the Interislander and start your South Island Adventure!
What is your favourite spot in the North Island? Have I missed it?